Classroom-based Virtual Education
Classroom-based virtual education means classes intended for classroom instruction that may also be instructed through technology outside the physical classroom (Wyoming Department of Education, 2020). The Classroom-based Virtual Education Change Request & Parent/Guardian Contract is intended for students seeking full-time classroom-based virtual education learning status as the primary means of instructional delivery for the term of a semester. Classroom-based virtual education requires a great deal of discipline, self-motivation and commitment from both the student and parents. Please consider all of the information available very carefully before committing. This change request/contract is not intended for students receiving instruction via adaptive learning during a school closure or during a quarantine.
Successful candidates for classroom-based virtual education are typically students who:
- Are self-motivated and can work independently with little direction.
- Frequently check email and are comfortable using CANVAS and other technology, or in the case of an elementary student, have a parent/guardian who assists with this task.
- Consistently meets deadlines and successfully passes or shows proficiency in all courses.
- Can advocate for himself/herself and ask for assistance if he/she is having difficulty with a course.
- Possess solid communication skills needed to interact appropriately with classmates and teachers in an online setting.
Classroom-based virtual education students may only apply for admission during the dates designated by Converse County School District #1 (CCSD#1). Exceptions may be made with principal approval only. Students must meet these criteria in order to apply for and remain in the classroom-based virtual education option:
- Student must reside in the CCSD #1 attendance area and have primary enrollment in the school providing the instruction.
- Adequate student progress toward grade-level promotion and timely high school graduation is a condition of enrollment and a continuous expectation. Teaching and learning in the classroom-based virtual education experience covers the same content at the same pace as the in-person option. Students are expected to participate in class instruction and work.
- CCSD #1 recognizes the importance of foundational skills established in grades Kindergarten,1st, and 2nd grade for future academic success. Classroom-based virtual education is strongly discouraged for these grades.
- Students are required to take state-required assessments administered by the district. It will be necessary for the student to come to the school to take these assessments.
- Students taking courses virtually are subject to school and district policies, procedures, and rules applicable to students enrolled in traditional courses including, but not limited to, discipline codes and prohibitions on academic dishonesty, discrimination, harassment, bullying and cyberbullying.
- Students with disabilities or other needs are not restricted from participation in the full-time classroom-based virtual education program nor exempt from meeting entrance criteria. Current Individual Education Plans (IEP) and/or 504 plans of student applicants who meet the entrance criteria will be evaluated by the IEP team on an individual basis in order to determine the appropriateness of the classroom-based virtual education option.
When making a classroom-based virtual education change request, the student’s parent/guardian is to complete the Classroom-based Virtual Education Change Request & Parent/Guardian Contract. The change request/contract must be received during the designated dates. The Principal will:
analyze the request,
- contact the Student Support Services Director to determine if a plan review is needed (convene if necessary) and approved for classroom-based virtual education,
- make a recommendation, and
- submit the completed request to the Assistant Superintendent for consideration,
- notify the parent/guardian of the decision regarding the classroom-based virtual education change request.