Teach less, learn more
A path to the future for every child.
Converse County School District #1 defines excellence in teaching and learning as:
- All students are proficient or advanced in grade level and content area priority standards.
- All students are proficient in mindsets and behaviors that prepare them to achieve excellence.
Guaranteed and Viable Curriculum
Our Guaranteed and Viable Curriculum (GVC) delineates the curricular framework for our standards-referenced teaching and learning and is defined as (DuFour et al., 2016, pg 113-126):
- Guaranteed: gives students access to the same essential learning outcomes regardless of who is teaching the class
- Viable: well-articulated set of knowledge and skills that every child should learn in grades K-12 that can be taught for understanding in the time available.
In Converse County School District #1, the GVC is delivered through a standards-aligned system mapped by priority standards and proficiency scales. The priority standards articulate the knowledge and skills for each grade level and content area. The proficiency scales define the learning outcomes and mastery levels for each priority standard.
CCSD #1 is responsible for the Wyoming Adopted Standards. In addition, some content areas utilize content specific national standards. Click here to view our standards. Those standards denoted with a green P are the district’s priority standards. The standards denoted with a yellow S are the supporting standards.
- We will teach less, learn more. Our GVC will drive the framework for instruction that ensures all students receive the instruction and learning opportunities they deserve.
- We continually seek evidence of what students KNOW and CAN DO.
- What you track and measure will improve. Curriculum maps track aligned instruction to improve student achievement on learning goals, as measured by our assessment system.
- The GVC drives our collaborative team work within our PLC framework.