Unpaid Meal Charge Policy
Adopted: A 2017
UNPAID MEAL CHARGE POLICY
Converse County School District #1 recognizes that healthy, nutritious meals are an important
component to student readiness and ability to learn.
This policy shall be included in Back to School letters, student handbooks, the CCSD1 website, and
provided to any family joining our district during the course of the school year.
General nutrition requirements state “Schools must provide nutritious and well-balanced meals to
all the children they serve”. Converse County School District will not deny any student access to
school lunch or breakfast.
However, the district’s Nutrition Services Department is an “enterprise fund” and shall not have a
negative balance at the close of the fiscal year.
Unpaid charges place a financial strain on the Nutrition Services Department and on the district’s
To be fair and equitable and in order to ensure compliance of all who participate in the school
meal program, this policy establishes procedures for methods of payment, methods of contact and
collection methods for unpaid lunch balances.
The Nutrition Service Department establishes the following goals
• To establish a consistent district policy
• To treat all students with dignity at all times
• To ensure all families have the opportunity to fill out the Wyoming State Free and reduced
• To encourage parents/guardians to assume the responsibility of payments while supporting
positive interactions with students.
• To insure all students have access to the healthy meals they need on a daily basis.
Methods of Payment:
We encourage parents/guardians to prepay student accounts whenever possible. Payment may be made in
the form of:
• ONLINE AT: myschoolbucks.com. Online payments take a few days to post to the account. There is
a fee from which the Nutrition Services Department does not profit.
Accounts that have received an NSF (non-sufficient funds) check, will be changed to a cash only
account. The business office will attempt to redeposit the check one time and will notify the
responsible party of the NSF check.
All account balances, both positive and negative, will carry over to the next school year. Full
payment is expected for all negative account balances at the end of the school year.
How to apply for free and reduced meals:
Families eligible for free or reduced price meals, need to submit a free and reduced meal
application. Applications are accepted throughout the year and are located at each school office,
and the Central office. The Central bookkeeping department will be available to assist in
completion and submitting the free and reduced application.
An application must be submitted for each school year.
Low balance notification policy:
When a student account reaches $5.00 or under, parents/guardians will receive a phone message as a
reminder each week until the account is brought above $5.00.
Negative balance notification policy:
Should a student account reach a negative $75.00 balance, parents/guardians will receive a
certified letter. The balance will be due within 30 days of the date on the letter.
The Collection Process:
If no response within 30 days of the certified letter, Converse County School District will start
the collection process.
• Student account will be turned over to the collection agency
• Agency will then send a letter and attempt to collect
• Collection agency will sue for collection if balance owed is over $300.
Should a parent/guardian wish to prevent a student from purchasing items from our department, a
signed letter is required.
Leaving the District:
Any funds not claimed within one (1) year will become the property of Converse County School
Should a student leave the district owing a balance, a bill will be sent to the forwarding address
and will be sent with the school records in an attempt to collect the balance due.
• Upon checkout, remaining funds will be transferred to any sibling account. If no siblings,
parents/guardians address is needed.
• Check for remaining balance will be mailed after board approval.
• No cash over $10.00 will be returned at senior check out.